Custodian - Hiring Pool
- Meridian Medical Arts Charter
- Meridian, ID
- CATEGORY: Support Staff
- CATEGORY: Custodian
PURPOSE Performs routine custodial work in school facilities; performs related work as required. PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES The primary function of an employee in this class is to perform routine custodial, maintenance, cleaning, and groundskeeping tasks in assigned school buildings and grounds. Additionally, an employee in this class may be assigned to other maintenance duties in District facilities. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Head Custodian or Night Supervisor, depending on assigned shift; the custodian also takes direction and suggestions from the building principal and teachers to maintain a team approach. The primary duties of this class are performed in a public school building environment and include use of electrically powered cleaning equipment and cleaning substances that may involve related hazards and outdoor work in inclement weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Sweeps and mops floors, including restrooms, classrooms, hallways, offices, multi-purpose rooms, gymnasiums, cafeterias and food preparation areas, science and computer labs, art rooms, music classrooms, meeting rooms, and related rooms;
- Vacuums carpeted floors; strips and waxes floors and shampoos carpets on regular maintenance schedule;
- Dusts and wipes off surfaces, including chalkboards and whiteboards;
- Cleans and sanitizes restroom areas, including toilets, sinks, mirrors, privacy dividers, walls and floors;
- Maintains supply levels in restrooms, including toilet paper, paper towels, and soap;
- Washes walls, windows and surface areas;
- Empties and cleans trash containers, including transporting bagged waste to outside trash receptacles;
- Cleans light fixtures and replaces bulbs;
- Dusts and cleans air vents and changes air filters;
- Cleans and polishes mirrors, wood, and other special reflective and decorative surfaces;
- Cleans spills, spot cleans carpets, and removes graffiti as needed;
- Cleans and maintains custodial equipment;
- Maintains sufficient inventory of cleaning supplies;
- Assists in moving and setting up furniture and equipment;
- Unloads supplies, paper stocks, books, and inventory items;
- Maintains and regulates HVAC systems to provide building temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical use of fuel, water, and electricity;
- Maintains grounds, including sidewalks, parking lots, common areas, and planting areas, by picking up litter and trash, mowing grass, weeding planting areas, and irrigating;
- Performs snow removal duties, including sanding and salting walkways;
- Locks and unlocks buildings and checks panic bolts to maintain security and prevent vandalism;
- Performs minor maintenance including, but not limited to, changing light bulbs, minor plumbing and electrical repairs, painting, and classroom repairs;
- Sets up for and breaks down after special events;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with District policies, procedures, and safety practices.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Methods, materials, tools and standard practices of cleaning and maintaining public buildings;
- Preparation, use, and disposal of chemical cleaning agents;
- Appropriate use of cleaning agent for varied surface types;
- Safety procedures when cleaning and moving furniture;
- Methods, materials, tools, and standard practices of grounds and yard maintenance.
- Follow written and oral instructions and observe department policies and procedures;
- Operate, maintain and perform minor repairs to powered custodial equipment including, but not limited to, vacuums, strippers, waxers, buffers, shampoo cleaners and power washers;
- Operate hand cleaning equipment including, but not limited to, brooms, dust and wet mops, dust pans, and dusters;
- Operate, maintain, and perform minor repairs to groundskeeping equipment including, but not limited to, mowers, edgers, weedcutters, irrigation systems, blowers, and related equipment;
- Communicate effectively with the public and other employees;
- Must be able to read, write, and comprehend English at the 6th grade level as determined by a district-developed test;
- Must be able to complete basic math skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division at the 6th grade level. This will be determined by a test developed by the district.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency; and
- One (1) year custodial experience preferred; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions, telephones, and safety warning sounds;
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions, discern dirt or marks on surfaces and move in unfamiliar buildings;
- Sufficient dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate cleaning and groundskeeping devices including power equipment, hand equipment and small objects, and make adjustments;
- Sufficient strength to lift objects up to 70 pounds, maneuver power cleaning equipment, carry objects up to 70 pounds, stand for periods up to four hours, and to move between work stations and job tasks on a single shift;
- Sufficient body flexibility and balance to perform cleaning and maintenance operations which require repeated bending and stooping motions, including climbing and working on ladders;
- Sufficient personal mobility, flexibility, stamina, and balance, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in areas with only artificial light, to work within a tightly enclosed area such as closets and small offices, to work while exposed to unpleasant odors and with allergenic substances such as cleaning solutions and dust, and to work in a custodial environment;
- Sufficient attention to concentrate on tasks and to return to and complete tasks when distracted.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT To be determined by calendar year. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job.
- If you are chosen for this position your employment with the District would be "at will". Employment at Will means that the employee or the District may terminate the employment relationship with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time.
- As per Idaho Code 65-5-1/65-503: "Eligible veterans are provided advantages in public employment in Idaho…"
Equal Opportunity Employer
Meridian Medical Arts Charter is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.